Old August 3rd 07, 06:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default Design help: Modulator schematic

"maxhifi" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
You can also delete the capacitor feeding the grid of
the second half of the 12AT7 -- the one on the plate
of the first half is already blocking DC.

I was going to suggest that, then realized it was part of the biasing.
Which
you have altered in the following schematic.

Sorry for an ignorant question, but can you please explain how it works?
As drawn, I can't understand how the tube is biased properly, in either
section - won't the grid at zero volts, and the cathode at zero volts set
the tube to an undesierable operating point, or is there something here I
am missing?

Just clarify my question - I do understand grid leak biasing, but how is it
possible with the compnent values given in the original schematic? In an AA5
the grid resistor is in the M ohms

I'm curious though, why anyone would design the circuit as it is, when
electrolytic caps are relatively cheap.