Old August 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
Engineer

Default Heathkit SW-717 receiver

Hi, everyone,
I picked up a (low end) Heathkit short wave transistorized radio,
model SW-717, "series no" 08731, at a garage sale this W/E - not
working well, some reception on BC bands but low sensitivity. I put a
few low level sig. gen. RF signals on the antenna terminal, from 1 MHz
to about 12 MHz but reception spotty and not to dial scale.

My guess is that it is 1970's vintage, perhaps a bit before. It has 9
transistors (2 power types); no integrated circuits; cannot find any
IFT's (very odd!) but there are a total of 7 unshielded coils on the
PCB. It has a 2 gang tuning capacitor with one gang of lower
capacitance than the other with 10 plates vs. 11, about 390/500 pF in
size - suggests an oscillator to me, i.e. not a TRF set.

I've not yet done a full forensics yet in case I can save time by
looking at the schematic. Will pay for copying and mailing costs for
a manual, or the original, or would appreciate even just a scan of
schematic by email to:
'surfnews "at" sprint "dot" ca' suitably written, of course..

All info on this model will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for