Old August 7th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default -FYI- Vintage American Electrola AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio. Model# DXC-100

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Probably some bad Metamucil. "Vintage" is not a word I'd apply to
this rig. Late 70's, early 80's at best. And not a performer.

[snip]

It sure looks "vintage" with it's 7 segment red LED display, membrane
touchpad and Love Boat era graphics -- all in a woodgrain box. But Passport
has it "New for 1994".

The Passport review is odd. Listed among the radio's disadvantages are such
potential showstoppers as the crummy membrane keypad, FM stations breaking
into the SW bands, hissy audio, excessive digital whine, single bandwidth,
wildly varying sensitivity from band to band, mediocre dynamic range and
other more nitpicky stuff.

Passport did like the radio's ergonomics, display and footprint. And the
American Electrola will interface with an IBM compatible.

A quote from the review:

"It's about time: an affordable world band radio designed for the way most
normal people listen. Not a portable -- most world band listening is done
at home, not on the road -- and not a techy DX tabletop model that's evolved
from ham gear."

Affordable, in the case of the American Electrola, meant $319.19.

I should say I had no particular interest in the American Electrola. I had
already bought a DX-440 for less than half the AE's price. I liked, and
still like, my DX-440. I even use it at home!

Frank Dresser