Old August 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Indication new knowledge could have an impact on future antennas...

Richard Clark wrote:

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Nice fairytale; and given all the time at sea, those sailors certainly
would have had the time to dream it up; and, it is easy for one to
imagine as holding water.

However, the rising and falling of the ships would create a "pumping
effect" between the said ships ...

As, the ships rise on the wave, the ships tend to be "pushed" together
by the fact that water on all the outsides of the ships finds it easier
to flow up to, and onto, the ships, leaving a "partial vacuum" in
between the ships due to the fact water "flowing in" between the ships
faces more resistance getting in their.

Now, as the wave subsides, the ships are "held together" by the fact the
water "flowing out" between the ships faces much more resistance than
the water flowing away on the outsides ... the ships eventually end up
touching.

While the Casimir Effect may, or may not, relate to this phenomenon in
some esoteric and abstract way--I rather doubt it! silly grin

QUIT PULLING RICHARD! I FEEL MY ONE LEG, YOU ARE PULLING, GETTING
LONGER ALREADY. :-)

Regards,
JS