Old August 11th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Need inexpensive spectrum analyzer

Fred McKenzie wrote:
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:

Can anyone suggest a decent inexpensive spectrum analyzer, that I can

look
for used on ebay, that would be suitable for evaluating SSB transmitter
output for spurs, harmonics, etc.?

Rick-

If you have a signal generator, you can use it as a local oscillator for
a Ham panadapter. The Heath SB-620 HamScan can be set up that way. I
used one many years ago to troubleshoot a Regency HR-6 and BTL-301 spur
problem.

I also had the TS-120S which had spurs. I took it back to the dealer,
who had a good technician at the time. Apparently incorporating all the
Kenwood tech bulletins will solve the problem unless you have a
defective component. Mine was clean as a whistle when I sold it.

Fred
K4DII

I used just that technique to marry my SB620 'Scanalyzer' to my TS-120S and
TS-130S xcvrs (with buffer amplifiers inside the xcvrs). The 620's input
amplifier has an RFC to ground from the cathode. A capacitor is switched
from bypass of the RFC, to coupling from an RCA jack on the rear apron.
That turns the input amplifer into a mixer. My '620 came to me setup for
Heathkit's 3.395 MHz IF. I made a dead-bug oscillator using a ~ 12 MHz xtal
that was intended for a rock-bound 2m xcvr. A slight tweak of the '620's
sweep oscillator, and I was in business.

Another potentially inexpensive spectrum analyzer scheme is based on a
varactor-tuned frontend from a cable box (it utilizes your generic
oscilloscope for display). You can build a basic unit, or add modules for
more function. Take a look at http://www.science-workshop.com/, home of the
"Poor Man's Spectrum Analyzer".

73,
Bryan WA7PRC