Old August 11th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default PA valves anode voltage (was:microwave oven power supply)

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 5, 8:15 am, Highland Ham
wrote:
Have read that the transformers go into saturation each half cycle?

It appears that one end of the HV secondary of the transformers is
often grounded to the frame of the transformer.
However often thought that the substantial 60 Hz. transformers would
be the basis for good (non portable) PA power supplies.

A ground secondary would mean a half-wave rectifier, which would
place a heavy DC bias on the core and might lead to core saturation long
before the full capacity of the transformer is reached..
Hammond derates their transformers by .28 for halfwave rectification
with capacitor input filtering. I think the current is also limited
by a magnetic shunt on the core (removeable, I think..)

If these new inverter supplies use a higher frequency and smaller
toroidal type core, that might open the possibility for easier
mods for ham use. I'd think it would have been featured in one
of the more technical ham magazines by now, though..

Pete

"AS IS" the inverter supplies are not suitable for ham use unless you want
to do some EME work on 2.4Ghz. Probably why you havent seen anything about
them. I was just hoping to learn enough about them to make some power
supplies are are usable must like several people have modified the 60 cycle
transformers for various uses.

Jimmie