Old August 12th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
iwouldntknow iwouldntknow is offline

Default 2m All Mode Rig

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:37:13 +0100, charlie wrote:

I looking to buy a used all mode base rig for two metres at the end
of year and am leaning towards an Icom IC820H. I have looked at the
comments on eHam and it looks as if this rig is a favourite. I
wonder if anyone has/had one and if they have any comments to make
on the rig.

TIA,

Charlie.

PS:I realise that a real radio amateur would buy a tin of biscuits,
eat the biscuits and then build his own rig in the tin from a bag of
components bought at his club's junk sale but I don't eat biscuits.

If you're looking for used, give preference to radio's which have a Mutek front-end build
in.

I prefer the Yaesu FT736-R (with Mutek) over many other radio's, however this is personal.
Guess the fact that you don't often see them used is a sign?
If you want the very best look for something like a TS850+transverter (SSB Electronics
LT2+ or DB6NT) but that will cost you.

To get into the VHF scene in Europe check into the ON4KST site at www.on4kst.com/chat Lots
of info can be gotten there as well as real-time propagation and activity info.