Old August 12th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default Adding DSP IF filters to commercial radios

Good afternoon, all...

Have any of you seen any magazine articles or web sites that discuss
adding IF DSP filtering to any off-the-shelf commercial radios?

I have an Icom IC-735 and Yaesu FT-1000 that could benefit from that
treatment (even though I gotta say the noise blanker in the IC-735 is
amazing for 25+ year old technology).

Conceptually it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult... tap in to
the IF stream somewhere, direct it out to an external DSP box (or perhaps
even a small internal DSP board if there is room... I think the 735 has
enough internal room for that) and then the output of the DSP board goes
back into the IF stream.

I have 30+ years' experience in software development, mostly real time
systems, but none at all in DSPs so I thought this might be a good DSP
project for me to learn on.

But, I'd like to read up on whatever results others might have had in
doing similar efforts.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated...

Rick WA1RKT

= = = = =

Eric Poole
RKT Technologies, Inc.
Londonderry, NH, USA
Providing software development consulting and services
to government and industry since 1979.
On the Web: http://www.rkt-tech.com