Old August 12th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default need old pop electronics article

"Uncle Peter" ) writes:
"genev" wrote in message
I can't believe you found that.
Thanks so much!
Richard

I built that VHF receiver when I was a kid!!!!!!! 6C10 triple triode
compactron: grounded gridRFA, superreg-detector/one stage audio??

Wow. Brings back memories!

Pete

Do you remember or did you see the "high end" VHF receiver construction
article that Popular Electronics ran a few years later?

I think it was sort of modularized, so there was a tuneable or more
likely fixed IF section, and then converters for the low band and the
high band and maybe the aero band. It wasn't that spectacular a receiver,
it might have had a tuneable local oscillator going into the first mixer
and certainly the only selectivity came from IF transformers in the
MHz range. But it certainly was more complicated than the run of
the mill "police band" receiver construction articles that were
described in the hobby electronic magazines.

Michael VE2BVW