Old August 13th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
snow snow is offline

Default Sony ICF-S10MK2 -- Anyone here use it?

I just bought one two weeks ago to try out. First, it is a $10 radio, so it
won't match up to larger radios like the GE Super Radio. It is the best $10
portable I have own. On AM, for some reason it is a
more effective at night than daytime. At night, it pulls in tons of
stations up to 500 or so miles away and holds it own.
I suspect under good conditions it may pull in stations 1000 miles away. In
the daytime, it actually is respectable with stations up to 50 miles from
me. Two stations I consider DX material at 100 miles and 250 miles away it
is mediocre...though a SelectAntenna would likely pull them in strong used
with this radio. That being said, the GE Super Radio does a fair job on
these distant stations without help. On the FM side, it is somewhat
impressive for a $10 radio. It outdoes some of my other FM radios that cost
$40 or so. Decent FM reception, slightly below the GE Super Radio though.
So in summary, for $10 it is worth the price and does decent AM DX at night,
and worthwhile for daytime stations upto 50 miles away. FM is pretty decent.
A very good carry around portable for ball games and stuff.
"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j