Old August 14th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
KB3IBT Dan K KB3IBT Dan K is offline

Default TS-530s Finals neutralization

Oh, wow, thanks for the explanation Uncle Peter. I really appreciate it! I'm
gonna stick with new tubes. I hope my TS-530 will be able to tune up. Its
been sitting almost a year collectin dust next to my beloved TS-870.
I tried tuning the 530 this past Sunday and it wouldn't budge. Nothing at
all. It still receives pretty good.

Again, Thanks!

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"KB3IBT Dan K" wrote in message

"KB3IBT Dan K" wrote in message
Hello All,
I was told by a ham during a QSO that if I buy a matched pair of
6146b's, I would not need to neutralize them?? Is that true?

Thanks KB3IBT

So why should I get a matched pair?
I could save some money if I don't.

Matched pair implies the tubes will be drawing equal current for a given
grid bias; there is no way to "balance" the tubes in most rigs.

Neutralization is used to cancel unwanted capacitive coupling between
the internal tube elements, which varies by manufacturer and tolerances.

Usually you don't need a "matched pair"; I'd go with new tubes of the
same manufacturer and relatively close production dates. In other
words, don't mix a used RCA 6146A with a new imported 6146B
and expect the tubes to last.