Old August 14th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Sony ICF-S10MK2 -- Anyone here use it?

In article , craigm
wrote:

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article .com, RHF
wrote:

On Aug 11, 11:46 pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j

JDaR,

Read the RadioIntel Report/Review -by- Dr Phil
RADIO INTEL = http://www.radiointel.com/

"The Sony ICF-S10MK2 is an "FM/AM 2-Band Pocket Radio"
GOTO = http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm
Question - "Can this inexpensive Radio be used to pursue the
hobby of AM Distance Reception (AM DX) ?"

imho - it is design as a low cost am/fm pocket radio
and it is simply that ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Small world! Reading that review is what prompted me to ask the group
for some hands-on opinions.

Thanks for providing the links -- I'm sure someone else here will also
be interested to read that review...

-j

This is a $10 radio. I have one and do NOT use it. It is terrible.

The radio generates its own noise which limits the useful sensitivity on AM.

The dial markings provide very little detail. You don't really know what
frequency you are receiving unless you get an ID from the station.

The AM band does not cover up to 1700 kHz.

The stiffness and the backlash in the tuning make it a bit time consuming to
accurately tune in a station.

Is it sensitive enough? - No. When compared to a Rf-2200 or 7600GR, the
ICF-S10MK2 falls a distant third. Stations that are barely audible on the
$10 radio are load and clear on the 2200.

When compared to a Sony ICF-SW10 and Realistic DX-380, the ICF-S10MK2 still
falls in 3rd place.

There are much better radios for MW DX.

If you are serious about DX, then start with a decent radio.

The comparisons were made during daytime hours with no additional antenna
other than what the radio has built in. Batteries are new.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have a Drake R8 here at home, but I was
looking for something cheap to take backpacking with a loop...

-j