Old August 14th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default [DXNL] DXNL 1532 (Aug 15, 2007)

Robert Busch - DL7VOA wrote:

KH4 - MIDWAY ATOLL, OC-030
The Midway atoll is one of the most wanted DXCC entities (as seen from
Europe). Its scarcity value increased over the past few years after
Midway has been closed to the public in January 2002. Carolyn Bohan,
the regional head of the "National Wildlife Refuge Pacific Region
(US Fish and Wildlife Service)" gave her blessing to a visitor plan,
which could come into effect in November 2007 or January 2008. This
plan explicitly includes amateur radio activities but restrictions may
apply to the antennas. They must be designed in a way not to harm any
birds on Midway.

I couldn't help but notice this one. What is the danger to birds from
antennas? I've been around a number of different antennas, towers, etc,
both temporary and permanent. I haven't seen any evidence of harm to
wildlife.

I had heard of danger to birds at a very powerful shortwave site using
open wire balanced line, (a macabre story) but that just wouldn't happen
in any setup likely to be used today.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -