Old August 15th 07, 12:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Lou D[_3_] Lou D[_3_] is offline

Default Zenith 4-B-422: What other radios use this cabinet?

Lou D wrote:
Dave McClellan wrote:
This is a Zenith 4-B-422 6 volt battery set. Does anyone know of
other Zenith sets that use this cabinet? The chassis was obviously
built for a 5th tube, so likely an AC/DC version existed (5-D-xxx).
The cabinet is way to nice to use for ONLY a 6 volt set! Thanks! Dave.

Dave, your post caused me to go on a hunt of a set that's been on my
shelf for a long time. The set looks like yours but the back inside
label is a Chassis 5420 1.5 volt set. However inside the radio is a 5528
chassis which is a transformer set with push buttons used in sets like
the Pancake 5R312. Another thing that was not right was the Zenith
Oracle listed it as an AC-DC(Chassis with 60hz Phono) which makes no
sense so it must be a typo. One thing that didn't look right to me with
this set is you could see 2 screws at the bottom of the dial which you
won't see when it;s in the right cabinet. I kept thinking to myself this
can't be right and tonight when I took it apart it all makes sense.

To be a little more clear on this the 5528 chassis fits but the push
buttons are hidden and you would never know they are there. Kind of a
waste but it does work. There must be an AC (or AC-DC)set that uses that
cabinet I guess but I couldn't find it on the Radio Attic.