Old August 16th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default BPL strikes another win ...

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
http://www.redherring.com/Home/22562

JS

Hello John and all:

One of the things that I haven't seen covered about BPL, is the
installation and maintenance costs involved, in a power grid system.

We all know that when a system is modified for something that it wasn't
designed for that problems will surface. I'll bet money that the power
grid system modification and maintenance may be have a significant cost.
That was not totally covered, or audited.

We've all heard the nightmare stories and seen the enforcement actions
taken against Power companies that can't be bothered to fix a broken
insulator, bad ground wire, noisy transformer, or whatever that is
causing havoc to hams nearby. If they do put in BPL, it will be their
very own customers who complain to them. Then they have less of a
choice, assuming they want to keep their BPL customers.

And they still have to run the fiber. Why don't they just try selling
fiber access? Somewhere somehow we got a popular misconception that
there is some sort of magic box at the power generating station that
supplies internet access to the world. It ain't so.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -