Old August 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default BPL strikes another win ...

On Aug 16, 10:47 am, John Smith I wrote:

Well, in my neighborhood/city, you could not get into any trouble. All
lines are underground. What you cite is a moot point.

But if thats the case, they would probably not be much of an issue to
me as far as trashing my rcvr.

Except for exceeding safe rf levels, I cannot see a problem.

No worries there...

Anyway, BPL is best suited for remote areas (your neighbor is over in
the next 40 acres), the new 700Mhz would be far more suited to towns/cities.

I don't think it's very well suited there either, if using overhead
lines.
I have property in a remote area of OK. on Lake Eufaula, and of
course,
I run a station there. That's my "antenna farm"..lol..
I've got antennas strung through the trees. I'm gonna plant low band
beverages there this fall if I can gather up enough inertia and wire.
And all the power lines in that general area are overhead.
I'll make remote area BPL techs bark at the moon just as easily
there, as here in big H. And the problem would likely rear it's ugly
head quicker there, as overall the noise level is lower there vs
big H, being I'm out in the boonies. They could have that mess miles
away and I might hear it. But I have lines nearby too, as most do
out there.

Isn't the real excitement watching this new technology develop, with
solutions found "on the fly?"

Not really. I've seen so much new technology develop in the past 50
years, I think I've become uncomfortably numb. It really doesn't
excite
me too much. I'd just as soon walk around around in the woods and
see if I can count all my trees.. :/
BPL is not really new technology anyway. Seems to me Japan and
Germany already tried and ditched it as unpractical. It's been around
a while.
MK