Old August 18th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Deek Deek is offline

Default Vintage AM station

Dick wrote:

SNIPPED

Not really. Back in those days it was somewhat of a miracle to get
things running and operating correctly. You felt a real sense of
accomplishment to get a station running well. Now you just go to the
store, buy a radio and plug it in. I suppose in some people's views
that is better.

Dick - W6CCD

It is still possible to get 'that ole feeling' ... !!

Yep! It really is possible!

This past spring I bought a cosmetically very good set of 'nostalgia' equipment
using eBay. I bought an HQ-145, DX-40, Drake LP filter, D-104 microphone, a
DOW-KEY SPDT relay with auxiliary contacts, a great condition Vibroplex and a
VF-1. [This stuff dates to about 10 years into ham radio [~1965] for me].

It took almost three months of electronic restoration to get everything
operating to specifications. The first night I made a CW contact on 40 meters
brought back memories of my share in the olden golden days. The next night I
entered an AM QSO on 75 meters [a little tough with 40 watts]. Ah! the feeling!!

Now the 'bad' news ...

Due to age of switches and recurring oxidation on the contacts, the receiver
needs routine attention for the switched circuits. But, it is different to turn
on the station and HAVE to WAIT for a minute or so before I can hear anything.

The most difficult restoration was the threads of the DOW-KEY relay. Oxidation
swelled the threaded surface and had to be removed [jeweler's rouge & tooth brush].

Yep! I also have a few store bought ICOMS for HF, three in fact. It is
absolutely amazing what can be packaged in 1/2 a shoe box! The NOSTALGIA station
weighs 50+ pounds and takes one full bench. My three ICOMS together don't weigh
1/2 that much, all fit on one bench with room to spare, and they operate NOW ...
no waiting :-)

For those who would like to relive 'that ole feeling' I recommend reassembling a
NOSTALGIA STATION.

/s/ DD, W1MCE