Old August 20th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default Over the air HDTV: report

"Mike" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

You will need an outdoor antenna to get a good usable digital signal.
Where
rabbit ears, etc. type indoor antennas can normally get a usable (though
often poor) picture, they will not work well for a digital stream.

Nonsense. I have used 20 year old rabbit ears myself, they work fine
for HDTV. As always, it just depends on how far away you are from the
transmitter. The alignment is critical, of course. You either get a
perfect signal or you get nothing at all by just slightly moving the
antenna.

Joe Sixpack most likely doesn't even notice a difference between HD and
Analog (though there is one, most don't notice or care... after working
as a
repair tech for decades,

There is HUGE difference in picture quality, especially on a large TV.
I have a 42" plasma set that I don't even watch unless it's an HD
signal, because analog looks so bad.

That's because analog is not in the native resolution of the set. If it
were, you likely would not notice near as much difference. The convertor (in
the display) must take the (nominally 640x480) a/d conversion and multiply
it it to the native resolution of the display (1028x1660?), resulting in a
very ugly, pixellated display.