Old August 20th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
G4ZOW G4ZOW is offline

Default 1500w Mobile

Hi Fred,

I hear what you say but I really don't wish to tow anything let alone
a genny.

I've experience with high output charging systems and split charging
circuitry and have no problems supplying a 'stiff' 14v at a few
hundred amps.

About the only good thing about running QRO on sideband is that the
'average' current drain is really not that high, even with say 50%
efficiency out of the amp. Peak current is pretty high but a couple of
decent quality batteries with a good charging system see that as no
real pain.

2 X 0 or 4 X 0 welding cable is the order of the day for minimal
voltage drop and a Leece or Electrodyne alternator.

Anyhow, let's see what others have to say.

Thanks again.

Phil G4ZOW