Old August 21st 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default How much can the impedance of coax vary from its characteristic impedance?

" wrote in
oups.com:

I use RG6 quite a bit for ham work, and the cable I buy uses a HDC
centre conductor. I would avoid CCS for lower HF.

For what it's worth, I looked up the specs on the Carol C5785 that is
locally available at Home Depot here in the States. It's quad-shield
RG-6 and they list the losses down to 1MHz

1MHz .26dB/100ft
10MHz .81dB/100ft
50MHz 1.46dB/100ft

According to your calculator for RG-6/U it should be
.19
.6
1.37

Dan, You didn't say which of the RG6 cables you used. The figures you
quote are very similar to Belden 1189A. In respect of 1189A, note that
the regression model is based on data points from 55MHz to 1000MHz. That
is either because that is what Belden supplied, or it could be that I
excised some low frequency data points that were a bad fit to the model.

Beware of results where the estimate is an extrapolation. (The frequency
range is red when the estimate is an extraplation.)

Owen