Old August 21st 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam/WB2TT Tam/WB2TT is offline

Default How much can the impedance of coax vary from its characteristic impedance?

wrote in message
oups.com...
The RG-59/U I am using does in fact have a stranded center conductor.
I am using RG-59/U because I am feeding a vertical (quad) loop on the
vertical side and I am running the coax away at a 90 degree angle. The
lighter/smaller coax is more suited for this arrangement. I didn't
use RG6 (which I actually have) because the reducers for the PL259
and ferrite beads I have don't fit this size coax. I figure for 3.8Mhz
that loss wasn't such a big issue...in addition to the 1/4WL section
of 75 ohm coax is only another 25 feet of 50 Ohm coax to the shack.

-Scott, WU2X

You might also want to take a look at feeding one of the bottom corners.
This will give both vertical and horizontal polarization. I found it worked
great for DX; a dog for working locals, but probably no worse than vertical
p. I subsequently added a 1:1 current balun, but don't think it did anything
relative to the original setup, which had the center conductor connected to
the vertical wire.

Tam/WB2TT