Old August 21st 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Straydog Straydog is offline

Default 1500w Mobile

You can run anything you want as long as you have the resources. Some 50+
years ago, in an old Radio Handbook (Bill Orr?), there was (I think) a
discussion and photographs of a 1kw SSB transceiver and it was using a
water-cooled jacketed metal ceramic tube and for extra power, a three
phase arc welder generator under the hood. The rest was a piece of cake.

P.S. the circuitry was pretty simple, but watch out for the water cooling
and pump and reservoir (not for the faint of heart).

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, wrote:

It's that mad time of year.

Wanting to move up from my current Metron mobile amp what thoughts on
basic layout of a 14v DC powered amp that could run the full legal
limit?

Would you run say, 16 Toshiba 2SC2879 devices (within their total
dissipation specs) to keep IMD halfway reasonable or would you
consider an on-board switcher PSU up to say 80-100v to use some more
modern FET's. Is this at all feasable?

Of course a 'stiff' DC supply is required whichever way you go and the
extra few dB in signal is questionable as to whether it's worth all
the trouble.

I think a Hi-Q antenna would handle the power so that's not a concern.

Your thoughts on "Son of Metron".

Phil G4ZOW