Old August 25th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Straydog Straydog is offline

Default My vacuum tube homebrew transmitter

Good comments, Paul. I'll keep the extended story in mind.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Paul Keinanen wrote:

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:09:47 -0400, Straydog wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Scott wrote:

Well, all humor aside, I stand by my original answer to BE CAREFUL. True, a
KV might not kill you, but if you start out being careless, when you progress
up to tubes like a 4-1000A, the B+ will most certainly kill you. The pile of
ashes on the floor will be proof enough

Again, humor aside, I pride myself on NOT having hit a KV...that takes more
skill than hitting it

Knights of Olde Times had scars to prove their courage, bravery, and
skills and slain dragons. ;-) (or foolheartiness?)

Then thee can speak of "experience." ;-)

And, once burned, you learn and remember better, too!!! :-)

Memory is wonderful: You recognize when you made that same mistake before!

;-)

And, of course, you get bragging rights if you can talk about a smoke test
where you really did get the smoke (yeah, I had one and that burnt rubber
stank, too).

At least in Europe AC/DC radio and television receivers were common,
in which you could have the 220 V mains directly in the chassis. You
learned quite quicly to check the polarity of the mains plug before
starting serving such equipment.

There was a golden rule of always keeping your left hand in your
pocket while working with your right hand inside a mains powered or
high voltage device. An AC/DC powered device could deliver quite a lot
current through the mains fuse and rectifier. If you touched some high
voltage part (possibly causing a cramp in your hand), the current
would not go through your hart and you would have the other hand
operational to pull the plug.
---
When testing a new power supply, I was sniffing around to detect any
overheating components, my nouse touched the mains transformer primary
and got an electric shock in my nouse. I did not notice anything
special after that, but driving a car immediately after that proved to
be difficult, since I really had to concentrate to stay in the lane.

So if you get an electric shock in the head, nouse or ears, please
avoid driving a car for a few hours, at least for the safety of others
using the road :-).

Paul OH3LWR