Old August 26th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default Sun noise

I DID however, at around the same time, own a 2 meter Jap all-mode
transceiver that I happened to measure the "S" meter accuracy with an HP
signal generator. It turned out that 2 uVolts was "S"-1. THREE uVolts was
"S"-9.

==============================
Is it correct that for frequencies up to 30 MHz a S9 signal is 50
microvolt into 50 Ohms (or -73 dBm) but that for higher frequencies a S9
signal is 5 microvolts into 50 ohms (or -93 dBm).
If that is (the agreed) norm ,was it ever formally sanctioned by IARU ?

I've never heard of a convention like that. Can't imagine a reason to make
it different for HF and VHF.

I can hardly believe that any of the far eastern rice boxes have a
properly calibrated S-meter. Also the top end of the S-meter scale is
usually rather 'compressed', which surprises me since ICs with a log type
input/output relationship must be readily available.

They are now. (AD 600, 603 and MOT chips with RSSI etc.) VERY expensive
compared to a couple of 2N2222 type IF transistors and mass production will
go to the ends of the earth to save a couple pennies.

Time to attempt calibrating the S-meter of my (almost vintage) TenTec
Paragon TRX.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

If I had a Paragon, I'd try very hard to get rid of it. The worst radio Ten
Rec ever made (And the only up conversion one I remember) WRT LO phase
noise. Horrible on of course, both RX and TX. I had to put up with a
neighbors for several years. (And he-me when he was receiving. My
transceiver improved a whole lot when he bought a new radio.)

W4ZCB