Old August 26th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default LQQKing for 160m

Fred McKenzie wrote:
Howard wrote:

I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

Howard-

I don't think there is a 160 Meter Hustler resonator currently
available. I don't know if they ever made one, or made a single-band
160 Meter mobile antenna.

I have a 160 Meter mobile antenna purchased several years ago from AES.
As I recall, it was NOT made by Hustler. I can't find any markings on
it that might tell who made it.

It is in a similar configuration to the Hustler with a resonator, except
using a much shorter mast below the coil. I suspect it would hit
highway overpasses if the coil and top parts were used on a Hustler mast!

Fred
K4DII

Hustler/Newtronics (http://www.new-tronics.com/) never made a resonator for
160m (I used to sell Hustler at the local ham radio emporium).
That said, there's no reason you can't modify the parts you *can* get and/or
use an ATU with it. I've done just that with 80-10m parts & pieces. The
whips are 0.1" diameter, and Larsen sells 49" and 64" tapered whips that are
the same diameter at the bottom...

75m = 64" whip + reduce inductance on RM75
40m = 49" whip + reduce inductance on RM40
20m = 49" whip shortened to ~40" + RM15
I haven't yet tried anything special for 15m, but expect an RM10 or RM12 +
longer whip will work.
10m = 49" whip + homebrew 3/8"-24 fem/1/4"-28 male adapter + ferrule &
locknut (no loading coil)

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC