Old August 26th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default icom 706 powering itself on and off

In article . com,
wrote:

I have an ICOM 706 that is powering itself on an off. I recall
reading about this issue in the past but I neither recall the cause or
the correct terms to find it.

Keith-

What are the circumstances when this occurs? As Pat suggested, the
IC-706 is voltage sensitive, and may temporarily go dark when you start
your car. However, it should immediately come back to life after full
voltage is restored. Otherwise, you could have a DC wiring problem.

One problem I had with my old IC-706 (original), was that it would
occasionally run down the car battery overnight. The next morning the
battery was dead and the rig was hot.

As far as I can tell, the problem was with final power transistor
leakage. Their collector circuits are not switched but are connected
directly to the DC voltage input. After jumping the battery, the rig
would appear to work OK.

Fred
K4DII