Old August 27th 07, 05:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Don Bowey Don Bowey is offline

Default A more rational approach -- how I would like to change thecell phone industry.

On 8/26/07 7:31 PM, in article ,
"John Navas" wrote:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:29:12 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote in :

"John Navas" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:43:58 -0700, Don Bowey wrote
in :

On 7/19/07 4:42 PM, in article
,
"John Navas" wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:45:00 GMT,
wrote in
:

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:

Digital cell phones should stop using the compression they use and
start using monaural WMA compression with a CBR of 20 kbps or less and
a sample rate of at least 44.1 KHz. In addition, the following must
also apply:

The audio bandwidth of the phone system is about 3 KHz.

Actually more like 10 KHz.

If he is commenting on the bandwidth of a message network channel/circuit,
including cellular, it is about 3 kHz.

Audio. Suggest you read more carefully.

POTS phone lines are very limited. IIRC from my work with those systems,
about 300-3600 Hz. Strictly human voice range, not meant for hi-fi. Special
lines are still available for hi-fi use as audio STL's.

POTS lines are encoded at 64 Kbps, which is why V.90 modems work, and
which is sufficient for decent audio, albeit not "hi-fi".

Having said that, you have said nothing useful.