Old August 27th 07, 05:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Don Bowey Don Bowey is offline

Default A more rational approach -- how I would like to change thecell phone industry.

On 8/26/07 8:44 PM, in article
, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"John Navas" wrote in message
POTS phone lines are very limited. IIRC from my work with those systems,
about 300-3600 Hz. Strictly human voice range, not meant for hi-fi.
Special
lines are still available for hi-fi use as audio STL's.

POTS lines are encoded at 64 Kbps, which is why V.90 modems work, and
which is sufficient for decent audio, albeit not "hi-fi".

POTS lines are not encoded at all. Hence "Plain Old Telephone Service" which
can be used with any telephone (ain't no decoders in a WE 500 deskset) that
uses a DC line.

POTS lines that are on pair gain systems are, indeed, coded in the same
manner as is the message network. It has nothing to do with the phone, and
is transparent to the user. They may, however, not be coded to a full 64
kbit/s.