Old August 27th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil Stephanie Weil is offline

Default Time to throw in the towel on HD Radio !

On Aug 26, 10:30 pm, Bart Bailey wrote:

Maybe if you narrowed your bandwidth or used synchronous detection on
the far sideband you could do likewise? What kind of receiver are you
using? Does it have synchronous detection or pass band shift?

I'm talking about normal radios. I don't own any "communications
grade" gear (unless you want to count my Zenith Royal D7000Y, which I
don't).

I've owned ghetto blasters (yes! ghetto blasters) with very good
quality tuners that allowed me to pick up -- and comfortably listen to
-- stations like WICC AM 6 in Bridgeport, Conn., WMTR AM 1250 in
Morristown, NJ, and yes, even what was then WBLI-1240 (now WGBB) out
of Freeport, NY.

On a few run-of-the-mill 5-tube radios and pocket radios I would
sometimes be able to scrape out AM 1210 from Philadelphia. All during
the day.

Can't do this anymore. But that's unimportant Let's get on to a
topic that's more important for "joe random" AM listeners: The sound
quality of the analog signal.

I have a Kloss Tivoli table radio which is definitely not sensitive
on AM, but was designed to have have very decent sound for its little
size.

It's gotten to the point where it's gotten impossible to listen to an
IBOC AM station on one of these during the day because you ALWAYS hear
that "hisss" in the background. And please, find an excuse for the
"clipping" of the audio?

Fine, so I won't be able to DX. I can live with that, considering
it's not worth doing so anymore.
But can't I have at least the local stations sounding decent and
"clean" without something that sounds worse than over-driven cheap
magnetic tape hiss constantly buzzing in my ears?

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA