Old August 27th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Time to throw in the towel on HD Radio !

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Perfectly put, Brenda. IBOC is the biggest joke that I have seen in a long
time. And they have the nerve to call it "high definition radio". As big a
joke as Windows Vista.

Pete

iBiquity specifically states that "HD" in "HD Radio" does not stand
for "High Definition." At one time, it stood for "Hybrid Digital," as
the intent was to make the transition to full time digital only
broadcasting.

Today, iBiquity claims "HD" stands for nothing....

Which, if you think about it.....

And as for the idea of apply synchronous detection to get rid of
IBOC interference....yes...well....ahem....

Not so.

You're not that far from me, and there is no end of IBOC rash over
the stations worth hearing, up here. I think this is a solution
desperately looking for a reason to execute the perpetrator.

Radio isn't going to give up on this crap easily, though. Not with
the investment they've already made in hardware and licensing. But it's
not a solution that will bring the results Radio was hoping for. First,
it's not CONTENT focussed in its marketing...And it's CONTENT that
drives listening. That's why we're all so willing to sit through the
noise and static to hear programs that are not broadcast
locally....we're want the content, not the gimmick. (Well, except for
one, whose logs reflected at most 2 minutes each of the stations in the
ILG database.)

Until Radio gets this, and starts creating content that listeners
want to hear, and making it availble only on the digital streams, IBOC
will continue to languish.

No matter what HD salesmen claim.

The data tells a different tune than a claim about a commission check.

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
You must have a very dull life - nothing to do but post your very
stupid remarks about HD Radio.

The auto industry is gearing up to add HD Radio to nearly every make
and model automobile within the next 3 years or so. All 2007 BMW's
now offer HD Radio as an option. For 2008, Jaguar has added the
option. Also for 2008, the new luxury car being offered by Hyundai
will have HD Radio as standard, I believe. And the list goes on.

The same nonsense was said about FM Radio, about radio itself when
television took off, about tv dinners, etc. etc. Things don't happen
overnight.

FM did not interfere with anyone's ability to listen to their favorite AM
station. TV didn't interfere with anyone's ability to listen to their
favorite AM or FM station. FM stereo did not interfere with anyone's
ability to listen to their favorite FM station in monaural. AM stereo did
not interfere with anyone's ability to listen to their favorite AM station
in monaural (in fact, it enhanced the experience because of the allowed
extra bandwidth. IBOC DOES interfere with people's abilities to listen to
their favorite stations. Not only does AM-IBOC interfere with stations up
to three channels away from an IBOC station's carrier frequency, but it
has meant that the audio bandwidth now used for AM analog is little or no
better than a telephone. FM-IBOC interferes with first and second adjacent
channels, making them difficult or impossible to receive. And anyone who
lives in a high population area, such as the east coast, knows that their
'local' stations are not the only ones they can hear. Areas between say,
New York and Boston, or New York and Philadelphia, can hear stations
easily from either city. Not with IBOC..