Old August 31st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default Ferrite cores instead of a 1:1 current-choke UnUn for a Carolina Windom

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:08:07 -0700, Richard Clark wrote:

This, then, raises the next real question: What performance are you
expecting?

Good morning, Richard.

I would like it to work well. :-)

OK, more specifically, I'd like it to show a decent match (that is, a
match that's close enough for my TS-940S internal tuner to handle) on 80,
40, and 20, and work at least as well as my 160-meter inverted V that I
feed with ladder line and a manual tuner.

I have no way to define "expected performance" any way other than that.

Of course that leaves all kinds of unanswered questions regarding exactly
what I mean by "at least as well"... regional / NVIS? (Carolina Windom
may not work as well as the V) ... DX? (Carolina Windom may work better
than the V at least on 20) ... etc.

I also have no antenna analyzer and no means to acquire one any time
soon... best I can do is my transmitter (cranked way back in power) and an
SWR meter. No doubt 3/4 or more of my questions on this forum over the
last several weeks would have been answered by an antenna analyzer but
that's a luxury that's not currently available.

You mention the "UnUn that comes with the commercial unit"... not sure if
you meant a commercially-available CW antenna, but this one is being built
from scratch using a W2AU-type 4:1 balun and some lengths of insulated
copper-clad steel wire I have here.