Old September 1st 07, 03:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default What is the highest radio frequency used for astronomy? Is it 3,438 GHz?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:25:14 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Tam/WB2TT wrote:

I am curious here. At some point you have to switch from metallic conductors
and antennas to lenses and other optics. Any idea what the highest frequency
RF amplifier works at?

I have even seen optics and electronics combined in an experimental
Road radar for car control from Philips, radar output was a very small
horn antenna connected to a wave guide, and in front of that they used a
plexyglass condensor lens to make a narrow beam, like you do with light.
Apparently those mm waves liked that plastic lens just fine.

Now that you mention it, I saw something on the same principle once, but
it was half a ping-pong ball filled with paraffin. :-)

Cheers!
Rich