Old September 3rd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Ibiquity's "Gag Order" on engineers

"Steve" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 3, 4:00 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

I'm glad you had a good year, but what you fail to understand is that
your good fortune cannot continue as it has up until now. While you
probably don't want to believe this, it is a fact that AM has lost
virtually all of its listeners under the age of 50. Were you aware of
this? Please think about what this means, for it suggests that, as the
years go by, your audience is shrinking. You can bury your head in the
sand and entertain yourself with a short term fix here or a dose of
colloidal silver there, but time is running out.

Actually, using our LA AM as an example, we have an average age of 41. That
means about half our listeners are 40 or under, in fact.

Or KTCK, The Ticket in Dallas... average age is 43. And that is a top 10
radio station there, and #2 in overall billing in Dallas, right behind WBAP
(an AM) and right before KRLD (another AM). None of these stations is dead.

The average age for AM listening is just under 50, so half the listeners are
UNDER 50 at present. Your statement is totally wrong, in fact.

Radio as an industry knows, however, that the under 50 or under 55
listenership is decreasing. The average age of AM listeners increases by 1
year every 18 months. This is not a good trend, since advertisers have
little or no interest in listeners over 50. So there is concern, and a
desire to do something before the listening becomes predominantly 55+, and
sales start decreasing. Many big AMs are, in fact, showing flat or slightly
weaker sales... but we are talking about market leading stations with huge
revenues.

SO before you call for the piper and a nice dirge, note that radio is
anticipating a problem, not living one.