Old September 5th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default inquiry from a newb

Steve wrote in news:1188949229.874112.302240
@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Yo Steve!

March right off and get that license. For VHF and UHF, there are
repeaters to use, And I assume that Brooklyn and the surrounds has no
shortage of them. I don't know hown many are private, but there has to be
some public ones. As for HF, there are options even there. I talk to Hams
from Brooklyn and thereabouts on even 75/80 meters.

There may even be clubs that have club stations located outside the
city. Keeping in mind that if they have folks to Elmer you , you can get
in a little HF work under a control Op.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -