Old September 7th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default Ideas for Simple Homemade 17 Metre Antenna

wrote:
On Sep 3, 3:56 am, Andiroo wrote:
All

Can anyone point me to some simple designs for a home made 17 metre
antenna. I am looking for some simple half wave dipole type designs.

468/18.1mhz=25.85 total feet for a half wave dipole. Divide by two for
each leg.
Feed with 50 ohm coax. Can't get much simpler than that. Can't get
much more
efficient either unless maybe you have to run 500 ft of coax. .
MK

------------------

MK has given the proper way to do it - but then there is "MY" way. G

I have one of those cheap ($200) metal sheds that I bought from Home
Depot a while back. The kind that takes you and someone else nearly an
entire weekend to assemble because of all of the screws.

Well, mine leaks water, but it is still better than having nothing at
all...I think.

Anyway, if you happen to have one of these all metal sheds, plop a
magmount, or a through the metal mount, with a 17 meter Hamstick on it
and call it a done deal. Will it work as well as a dipole? In some
directions yes and in some directions no. You won't equal the dipole's
broadside radiation, but you can stomp the grape juice out of its end
point radiation. G

If the band is open, you don't need a fancy antenna or a lot of power.
If the band isn't open, no one is going to hear you even if you are
running full legal limit power output. I run my little Yaesu FT-817ND
QRP rig on this set up and it talks around the world - when the bands
are open.

The good thing about this set up, if you're a digital and CW man, in
addition to phone, is that you can replace the 17 meter Hamstick with
any other band Hamstick and still have some fun. PSK-31, Amtor and
Pactor with 5 thundering watts and a Hamstick will yield amazing
results. The key is patience and knowing which Hamstick to put in place.

Gonna have a terrible storm and you're worried about your Hamstick?
Well, you can always remove it - OR, you can buy ten quick disconnects
off'n a fellow on eBay for a ridiculously low price and fold over and
lash down your precious Hamstick.

Anyone can talk all over the world with the best antenna, highest power
output, etc. QRP can bring back the excitement of operating once again,
assuming you're not a 75 meter rag chewer. For the latter, they truly
need the best antenna and amp in order to be heard. Just the nature of
the band. However, scoot down to 80 meters and once again, QRP and
minimal antennas gain a great measure of equal footing.

Ed, NM2K