Old September 7th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default Substitute wire in Trap?

On Sep 6, 11:16 pm, Clayton wrote:
Hi,
I am replacing the wire in a trap on my 3 element Tri-Band beam
antenna...
The wire is 25 turns of approximately 10 gauge on a 1.210 inch form
diameter, with a coil length of 3 inches(these numbers are
approximate).
I am unable to get the exact gauge(10 AWG) of wire and was wondering
if there would be any adverse effects in using a slightly smaller
gauge wire in place of it,say 12 gauge or so...?

Any help with this would be greatly Appreciated
Thank You

I echo Scott's question: why is 10AWG so difficult to get?

But I also ran some numbers for you in a program I use often and
trust. Even if the absolute values are off a bit, the relative values
should be very close. Here's what I got:

3" long, 1.21" ID, 25 turns, 0.120" winding pitch = 3"/25

Parameter 10AWG 12AWG
inductance 7.148uH 7.053uH
wire length 103.1" 101.4"
Qu@14MHz 592 660
Equiv. par. C 1.68pF 1.67pF
Self-resonance 45.9MHz 46.4MHz

The inductance error could be corrected by winding it slightly larger
diameter; but it should be easy enough to just re-tune. The higher Qu
of the smaller wire is probably accurate; the larger wire is wound too
close-spaced to get the optimum Qu.

Cheers,
Tom