Old September 7th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
charlie charlie is offline

Default inquiry from a newb

Steve wrote:

I live in the top story of an old Victorian house. So, I'm relatively
high up, and there's a big, sturdy fire escape at the rear of the
house. There's also a modest backyard that I have access to, but with
the exception of a small, receive-only loop antenna, I've had bad luck
putting antennas back there. Eventually I might be able to arrange an
antenna on the roof of the house, so long as it's not too big and
noticeable. However, I think any antenna I use though will require a
balanced design because my grounding options are severly limited.
Maybe a small transmitting loop would be a good choice?

Steve,

You are right on the balanced antenna, there is no way you can have
an RF earth from your height. I live in a first floor apartment and
have a fan dipole (80m to 6m) in the attic fed via a balun and then
co-ax to the rig. There are details on my website.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org