Old September 7th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default Results: Carolina Windom

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:34:40 -0400, Bob Schreibmaier wrote:

I used legs of 45 and 90 feet. The SWR was about 1.0 at
3.5 MHz and 1.3 at 3.6 MHz. Actually, it didn't reach 2.0
until about 3.75 MHz. Lowest SWR on 40 meters was at 7.2 MHz
at about 1.0 and was low across the band. The lowest SWR on
20 meters was at 14.35 MHz at about 1.0, but was 1.8 at the
bottom of the band.

Good afternoon, Bob.

Since it's 92 degrees and about 95 percent humidity out, I decided now was
a good time to go outside and do some antenna work. :-)

I reduced one leg and increased the other to get the 45 and 90 feet you
suggest, but I must have cut it a bit long, because I'm getting SWR dips
of 1.12 at 3350, 1.1 at 6.701, and 1.4 at 14.4.

Band edges a

3.50 -- 1.5
4.00 -- 3.8
7.00 -- 1.75
7.30 -- 2.8
14.00 -- 1.9
14.35 -- 1.44

This is the Carolina Windom configuration (more or less...) 4:1 W2AU type
balun, 22 feet of RG-8X, and a 1:1 current unun, then 25 feet of feedline
which is currently sort of looped back on itself (really only need about 8
feet).

I was really hoping to get the antenna up higher than it is, because right
now the bottom 3 or 4 feet of the 22-foot segment, and the unun, are lying
on the roof, but it's as high as I'm going to be able to get it for the
foreseeable future.

Performance seems on a par with, or slightly inferior to, my 180-foot
inverted V fed with ladder line and an LDG autotuner. But, I haven't
really had a chance to test it yet. And, the inverted V connects to my
old IC-735 which has far and away the very BEST non-DSP noise blanker I've
ever used, much better than the one on the TS-940S which currently hosts
the CW.

When I get a chance I'll dig out a coax switch and connect both antennas
to the same radio for some apples to apples comparison tests.