Old September 7th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Substitute wire in Trap?

K7ITM wrote in news:1189193823.733779.47160
@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Tom,

But I also ran some numbers for you in a program I use often and
trust. Even if the absolute values are off a bit, the relative values
should be very close. Here's what I got:

3" long, 1.21" ID, 25 turns, 0.120" winding pitch = 3"/25

Parameter 10AWG 12AWG
inductance 7.148uH 7.053uH
wire length 103.1" 101.4"
Qu@14MHz 592 660
Equiv. par. C 1.68pF 1.67pF
Self-resonance 45.9MHz 46.4MHz

I tried the same scenario in the inductance calculator at
http://hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html .

It suggests that the inductance is quite a bit lower (~6uH), but
interestingly, that larger diameter wire gives a lower inductance rather
than higher.

That outcome seems counter-intuitive considering an ideal solenoid, but I
suspect it is caused by a very different estimate of the self capacitance
(0.6pF).

Owen