Old September 9th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Telstar Electronics Telstar Electronics is offline

Default Cutting D11 on Realistic TRC-492

On Sep 8, 8:05 pm, "Big Joe" wrote:
Sure I like the sound of clipping to a small amount.
As you know all Commercial, and Ham FM radios since the begging, has had
a CLIPPER built in followed by a Low pass filter ( Motorola used to call it
a splitter filter ) . This goes to a Deviation adjustment to feed the
modulator. Does a good job at two things. It holds the deviation (
Modulation ) to a fixed point and also clips off some of the Voice P-P
levels to help increase the average voice level.

So it Seems to sound OK to all the other FM radio users.
If I needed a Broadcast Radio quality sound then Sure I would use a
Compressor throughout the system.
Looking at your board it looks like you are using a somewhat fast Audio agc
which is OK and the noise gate is then even more important.

If the modulation system used in a FM radio was used in a AM CB radio (
without using all the audio feedback crappy AGC systems they use now ) the
audio could be adjusted to 100% and then what ever mic was used the radio
would not overmodulate. Doing so it could be too loud with all the
background noise coming up if the mic had too much gain.
So like I said I like a little of both. Similar to adding a Compressor to
a FM transmitter driving it using the mic gain to a little of clipping.

OK... thanks for your response. I'm just kind of surprised you prefer
audio with distortion. I guess everyone has a personal preference for
audio quality.
www.telstar-electronics.com