Old September 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default HF finals from PC monitor boards?

On Jul 30, 2:04 pm, "xpyttl" wrote:
A few years ago at FDIM, George Dobbs did a presentation about some guy
whose main interest in the hobby was making complete rigs from PC monitors.
He strenuously avoided using any parts that couldn't be scavenged from a
monitor, so obviously, his designs were a little unusual. Getting in contact
with George if you're not in the UK can be an exercise in frustration, and I
don't recall the call of the guy he was talking about, or even the country,
for that matter (I think it's the brains leaking out that's turning my hair
gray).

I think it would have been in the 2005 FDIM proceedings, possibly 2003, but
I think 2005.

..

wrote in message

ups.com...

In the vacuum tube world,
several types of TV line finals
are reused as HF PA FINALS.

- WHAT ABOUT CRT-TYPE PC MONITORS? -

Are there solid state components there
that could do say 5 to 30W (in) at HF?

Any other components
that would fit well
in a basic CW TX?

I'd be moderately surprised if that were not the case!

Hints, anyone?

Filippo
N1JPR/I2

I'm not sure why it should be so difficult to get ahold of Rev.
Dobbs. Visit http://www.staidan.org.uk and follow the obvious link...

Cheers,
Tom