Old September 11th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : AM/MW "HD" Radio - Any Positive Listening Experiences ?

On Sep 10, 10:31 pm, wrote:
HD Radio is the ONLY solution I can come up with in order to listen to
ANY AM station in my city - even the very powerful signals - while in
my home office, where I spend a good deal of time. With dimmer
switches, electronic air cleaners, computer, etc. etc. the noise level
wipes out all signals. I have to go to another room in the house if I
want to listen to AM analog. HD Radio is a blessing for me.

With so many complaining about the interference it causes on analog
signals - someone please tell me which analog station(s) in the Fresno
area are getting this interference. I can't locate ANY analog station
with ANY interference when in a "quiet" room in my home, and there are
MANY HD stations broadcasting in Fresno. I use both the CCRadio and
the CCRadio-SW and just don't have that problem, or at least haven't
been able to identify it.

I understand some of the complaints, but the industry isn't concerned
with those who dx. In fact, I have the problem with television
signals. When I moved to the Fresno area from Sacramento, I paid
$1,000 for a large tv antenna installation so that I could pick up the
major stations from Sacramento, about 180 miles from me. Shortly
after paying $1,000, the low-powered stations started appearing all
over the dial and wiped out channels 3 and 13 from Sacramento, channel
12 from Santa Barbara, channel 8 from Salinas, etc. But that's life.

- TV and Radio are for the masses,
- NOT just the few who dx as a hobby.

GA - Radio and Television : They don't call them
Mass Media for nothing -aka- Media for the Masses.

HDTV has solved the tv problem for me as now I get channels 3 and 13
on digital tv. HD Radio solves the problem I have with too much
electrical noise on AM.

No one really cares about the hobbiest. We are left out of the
picture when technology changes.

GA,

A very valid statement by an AM/MW Radio Listener about
the 'positive' side of "HD" AM/MW Radio in today's Noisy
Urban Radio Listening Environment.

I still need to take the Radi-osophy HD100 down to Oakland,
CA to try it out in an Urban Area with many Strong Local
Signals to try it out; and see what I can hear.

Up here in Twain Harte, CA - All I get is the Blinking Blue
Light and No "HD" Signal Lock.

Plus I have noticed some Digital Hash on a few of the
formerly 'clear' AM/MW Radio Signals from :
KNBR 680 kHz
KCBS 740 kHz
KGO 810 kHz

Using a CCRadioPlus+ Radio ; GE Superadio III Radio;
Grundig S350 Radio; or a Redsun RP2100 Radio; and
a Select-A-Tenna : I use to be able to Tune any of the
above SF Bay Area AM/MW Radios Stations and hear
Perfectly "Clear" Audio. Now there is always some
buzz or hiss that is part of the Sound being heard.

life exists and radio listening happens
beyond the 10 mv/m contour ~ RHF
{ where iboc 'hd' radio fears to go }