Old September 12th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Dave Moorman Dave Moorman is offline

Default Can you identify this radio? - "Unknown Radio.jpg" 336.4 KBytes yEnc

In article ,
"Reed Park" wrote:

I have often wondered why. Why would someone post in yEnc, when only
a small percentage of people can view the image. Why not post in GIF
or in JPG when EVERYONE can view it.

No, I am not interested in reading all the comparisons of the good and evil
of yEnc. I am just a simple person, with simple wants and needs. Not
interested
in looking for software, download it and running it so that I too can view
yEnc.
I neither like it nor do I dislike it. I just don't use it.

I hope that this post will NOT start any flame wars.

Let's hope not!

You still get GIFs and JPGs in yEnc. The image compression format (JPG
or GIF) is the same when yEnc is used.

Currently UUEncode is the scheme used to encode and transmit most JPGs
and GIFs over the Internet.

Apparently using yEnc instead of UUEncode results in significantly
smaller files being sent over the Internet. That's all that I know
about it. Smaller files can be a big advantage to people with slower
Internet connections.

I have no idea what percentage of images are sent via yEnc.

Dave