Old September 13th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default G5RV & Tuner Question

On Sep 12, 8:19 pm, Brian Kelly wrote:

Sir Cranston: One answer to your question is "it depends". It depends
on the radio and it's ATU. My old TS-940S(AT) autotuner successfully
handled several Field Day G5RVs which had gawdawful high SWRs on most
bands.

Some radio tuners will tune many loads..
But... I'd be kinda paranoid to use it as such if the
loads are far off the 50 ohm path. In some cases
the tuners can run real hot in those cases, and
I'd be afraid to whack it out.. Not a cheap fix for most
of those built in tuners.
But thats just me.. If anyone else feels lucky, have at it.
Myself, I never buy the built in radio tuners. I'd rather
have one outboard if I needed one. In most all cases,
my antennas are ready to go as is..
IE: all my home/portable antennas are resonant/tuned,
and my mobile is already matched by it's own devices.
So for me, I rarely would need a inboard tuner.
I'm still using a IC-706mk2g for most of my radio play.
No tuner in it.. Ditto for my old TS-830.. Course, the
830 will match a pretty wide spread just with it's
of the time..
MK