Old September 18th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb[_2_] gb[_2_] is offline

Default How to get started restoring a DX-40

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

A neighbor gave me a Heath DX-40 transmitter and VF-1 VFO that had been
sitting God knows where for God knows how long, and tonight I pulled them
up into the shack from the garage to see what if anything I could do with
them.

You can see the "Before" photos at http://www.rkt-tech.com/DX40 (at least
for the transmitter ... I haven't taken the VFO out of its case yet).

You can see that it needs a little work. :-\

(Amazingly, though, the underside doesn't look half bad...)

Having never done one of these restorations before ... where do I start?

The metal cabinets are not that bad. Any half decent paint booth at a good
autobody shop can remove the rust prime and paint in yoru favoriate gray to
match.

PATIENCE is the kep skill for restoration work. IF you don't have that --
pass these on to someone who has it.

gb