Old September 18th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Can you identify this radio? - "Unknown Radio.jpg" 336.4 KBytesyEnc

scott wrote:

Michael,

I primarily use Ubuntu Linux, but I do have a Windows 2000 partition that
tries to work. I loaded the OS and all my hardware was detected. It was
actually easier than loading Windows. I used the built in download
utility to download the PAN newsreader. I then went to the easyubuntu.org
site and downloaded that utility. Once I ran one small line of code from
the easyubuntu instructions, the utility allowed me to install the most
commonly used plugins and codecs to enable any non open source multimedia
applications including yenc. Now whenever I click on a yenc encoded post
PAN just opens it. No muss or fuss. I neither like nor dislike yenc. I
just know it works without any problems on my system. I also know I never
have liked OutLook Express as a newsreader. Its just not easily
customizable for my particular needs. When I was running a MAC I used
Hogwasher as my newsreader. None of this is real geeky stuff and it works
with older hardware. I just got sick and tired of getting out the credit
card every 3 years to pay Microsoft and then find I needed new hardware
and other software as well. My wife likes Ubuntu so much she stopped using
her MAC. She says it's easier and make more sense to her. Of course there
is a cost to all this... free. If you are too lazy to learn how to
download and install linux, the ubuntu folks will send you a free CD in
the mail if you email them requesting one. Think free, like in, freedom of
speech.

I downloaded it months ago, but I'm testing another version of Linux
(Mandiva) right now. I have looked at various versions of Linux for
over 10 years.

I have no problem using Linux, and have helped others install it on
their computers but the news reader I prefer doesn't support Yenc.

It's not an OS issue, but it doesn't matter. I'll continue to delete
Yenc when I see it, because I will not change from software that works
for me, for someone else's convenience.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell