Old September 22nd 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default FM HD in its current form will likely survive it's unlikely AM HD will fail.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:23:01 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
.net...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

Ibiquity sets the price of their chipsets. If radio sales remain dead

in
the water, they might decide they need a new game plan. Selling the

chips
cheap might encourage most of the rest of the broadcasters to buy and
license broadcast equipment from ibiquity.

Several fabs will be selling chipsets in Q1, starting with Samsung, at low
prices and in power saving designs capable of making competitive protables
possible...

Doesn't IBOC use digital technology developed by Texas Instruments? How
come, three or four years later, TI hasn't already started making the low
power chipsets?

iBiquity is in the development, not the chip business.

I know ibiquity only developed the chips, but calling them ibiquity chips is
a reasonable sort of shorthand. It's like all those Celene Dion CDs at the
record store. I can't really blame the manufacturer.

The
license fees are not as high as people think for the third party fabs.

I think ibiquity's fees have accounted for the bulk of the price difference
between a standard radio and a HD radio.

And wouldn't Texas Instruments get an even lower licensing fee than Samsung
since some of the technology is already owned by TI and TI is one of the
buddies in the HD radio alliance?

Frank Dresser

Lucent?