Old September 22nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default Restoring an old transmitter

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:17:43 -0400, Uncle Peter wrote:

It sounds like you want to hear you should take the easy way out.

Good afternoon, Uncle Peter.

I have been on the Internet since before most people knew the Internet
existed, and I have always wondered what it is about Usenet (and Fidonet
and RIME and all those BBS networks that came before the Internet) that
makes people feel compelled to put other people down for no good reason.

If we were sitting around the shack here, talking about this stuff over
pizza and some cans of beer, would you talk to me like that? Maybe so ...
but really I suspect not, you don't strike me as that type.

I would think by now that regulars on this NG would know that I'm new to
this stuff and am just looking to learn.

There's "taking the easy way out" and there's "not fixing what ain't broke".

I'm currently working on a DX-40 restoration and I have been advised to
strip out all of the components and wiring and rebuild it from scratch
with all new components (where available).

Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Saving the bias supply, and protecting other components from shrapnel when
a capacitor blows, all seem like good reasons to replace the caps. So, I
learned something today, just like I do just about every time I post
something here (thanks).

(On the other hand, bias supplies fail for reasons other than blown caps...)

I'll try Phil Nelson's site ... thanks...