Old September 23rd 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter Uncle Peter is offline

Default Restoring an old transmitter

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:17:43 -0400, Uncle Peter wrote:

It sounds like you want to hear you should take the easy way out.

Good afternoon, Uncle Peter.

I have been on the Internet since before most people knew the Internet
existed, and I have always wondered what it is about Usenet (and Fidonet
and RIME and all those BBS networks that came before the Internet) that
makes people feel compelled to put other people down for no good reason.

If we were sitting around the shack here, talking about this stuff over
pizza and some cans of beer, would you talk to me like that? Maybe so ...
but really I suspect not, you don't strike me as that type.

I would think by now that regulars on this NG would know that I'm new to
this stuff and am just looking to learn.

There's "taking the easy way out" and there's "not fixing what ain't
broke".

What can I say. You asked for advice, and still doubt the veracity of the
advice. "Fixing what ain't broke" pretty much conveys the original
supposition of taking the easy way out.

A proper restoration involves changing parts that WILL fail, and that
includes electrolytics and paper capacitors. If you just want to get
it running, then you take your chances.

If you've been around that long, then certainly know what to
do without asking for blessings. And yes, this is usenet.

73

Pete