Old September 23rd 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default Ringo ARX-2 vs ARX-2B - What's the deal?

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message

"Kevin Hastings" wrote in message
I bought one of these at a hamfest from a SK's estate and thought it was
a ARX-2 and then noticed the 52" coax harness attached to it and realized
that it was probably a ARX-2B which seems to be the same except for the 3
radials which I guess didn't get sent to the hamfest.

Reviews of these 2 antennas seem to almost use the 2 model numbers
interchangeably so the question is... Is it worth making up a radial
system and taking another 5 feet of mast to re-manufacture this thing
into a ARX-2B?

What would be the advantage? Maybe somebody's used both.

Thanks,- I was sure somebody out there knew this

Kevin VE9-XYZ

----------------

I have used the ARX2B with and without the decoupling stubs and didn't
notice any real difference. Theoretically, the decoupling stubs flatten
the radiation doughnut which provides better signal toward the horizon. I
guess I didn't operate many stations that were out there far enough to
notice any improvement in range. How high the antenna is mounted also
plays into the range. Mounting it low would probably remove any advantage
provided by the coax and decoupling stubs.

Ed, NM2K

Apparently there is a big difference from istallation to installation
without the decoupling mod the 2B provides. Ive heard many varied reports
on how well the -2 performs and what you should do to make it perform
well. Some say metal mast, others insulated mast. Some say install it at X
height others at Y, use a choke in the coax, other say thats the worst
thing you can do. Some praise the antenna others curse it. You should get
the idea by now.

For those who went to the 2B some say its better some say its worse thn
the -2, go figure.

Jimmie

Of all of the 2 meter non mobile verticals I have used over the last couple
of decades, the ARX2B is my favorite, in spite of my previous comments.

Ed, NM2K